Thursday, 17 February 2011

Deadliest Catch


I watched a series of Deadliest Catch recently about Alaskan king crab fishermen. Blimey, those blokes have got guts! There are 1000s of boats out fishing in-season, looking for clusters of these crab, and the crew would often say they were "on the crab" if there were 30+ of the things surfacing in each of their pots.

At $30 a piece, a 30+ pot would understandably be regarded as a lucrative haul.

I've been "on the crab" (a worthy addition to my Glossary me thinks) every day except one this year, when I let frustration cloud my judgement and lost about 40 quid. I mean every day too, as I've not missed a day since 28th Dec (apart from 31st Jan when BF went down). The last couple of days has been particularly fruitful, where I even managed to profit from footy (which I'm sure I'm down on overall, given that I still treat it as a bit of a sideline and have tossed loads of dosh away on silly bets).


Whenever I trade for long periods without a break, I find I start getting the "twitches". It's a bit like the nervous system is saying "hey, give yourself a day off". But missing a day at the moment, when things are going swimmingly, is akin to not pulling up one of those crab pots. I could sit down and make £30 or £130 that day; I just never really know what's going to "come up in the pot".

"That's enough of the crab analogies now, Mets!"

Ok.

Actually, I did finish my session early yesterday to go for a swim. When we got to the pool, they wanted us to pay £40 - £20 for me and £20 for the wife - instead of the usual £7, because her membership had lapsed. 40 quid for a swim? WHAT IS THE WORLD COMING TO??!!

It's interesting to see that Mark Iverson has also been on one of Centaur's courses. His review was a bit more diplomatic than mine but then again I vowed that I wouldn't care as much about what people think of me when I started working for myself, as there is very little to lose by speaking your mind when you don't have to fear upsetting a boss. If people (eg politicians) were a bit more straight-talking in this country then perhaps it wouldn't be going to the dogs. After all, the Italians don't seem to have trouble expressing themselves...

4 comments:

  1. Jeez Mets, was wondering when the Crab analogies were going to stop :)

    Good going the last couple of days for you. Well done and keep it up.

    Losing day today for me but not too heavy.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tomorrow I shall be writing a post analogous to the Indian smooth coated otter :D

    Cheers for the comment. I hope you can soon smash through the 1K soon and put the unfortunate Betfair outage incident behind you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. At a time when we're all feeling the PINCH, you are CLAWING your way up the bf ladder & it's good to see you coming out of your SHELL. Personally, I'm doing crap and I need to crawl back under a ROCK.
    Something else about PINCER MOVEMENTS.

    ###END COMMUNICATION###

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.