Saturday, 9 April 2011

Aintree Day 3

It's been a great day today. I awoke with a smile knowing it was "National" day. By 11 this morning I'd scrawled all over my Nan's Daily Mirror and narrowed the field to 13 based on some common winning trends of the last 10 years that I discussed in this post.



RIP Dooney's Gate :(

Ballabriggs was amongst the 13 but I didn't bother with him as his place odds were a bit on the short side.....DOH! I was only staking small amounts so I went for outsiders and ended up with these selections


And what did I get for my trouble? As cockney Gary from the Beeb would say: "naffink" !

Oh well, at least I went about it intelligently this year. Funnily enough, my wife, Nan, Mum, Dad and sister's Mother-in-law (!) all had a punt and we up came with nothing in the top 4 between us!!

Coke and Kalms were the order of the day as I got stuck into the trading side of things. Actually, I think Coke and Kalms cancel each other out do they?


Always read the label

I attacked the markets and found the trading conditions very well suited to my style - some of the in-running stuff was very nice indeed - and I was pleased with my total for the day


I was actually over 300 up but this total takes into account the -£24 lost in the place markets putting bets on for other people.

I found trading at Aintree was very good indeed, except for the National itself, which was a bit of a disaster. Basically, I was going to put some family bets on in the win markets using my spare BF account, but my funds didn't transfer over in time so I had to put them on using my main account.

Well not only did I find the pre-race conditions unfavourable, but in-running, these family bets were getting in the way of my hedging! I was hedging their bets accidentally as I traded the same horses and then had to quickly put the right back bets on again in case they came in. This happened on 3 horses and was a distraction I didn't need. Another lesson learned for next time! So I ended up breaking even on the race, which isn't the end of the world but I wanted to do better given the amounts of money sloshing around.

Oh well, there's always next year :)

2 comments:

  1. This is my favourite blog and I follow more than a few.

    Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Andy,

    Good to see you back blogging circuit again, I'll be following with interest :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.